You just got back from a nice family vacation and you come into the kitchen to find ants… All over the kitchen, mostly coming out around your sink. This is the last thing you want to deal with just getting off vacation. You could always find some DIY options to try and get rid of them or you could call Morgan Pest Control and have our trained techs come out to get rid of them for you. Here are some tips that will make it not only easier on our techs but it could have a better chance at keeping the ants away after we have left.
Preparing for Ant Control Services:
Prior to arriving at your home most companies will leave you with a few steps to complete before the techs get to your house. These steps are there to make it the safest place we can while we are treating the ants and to make our techs job easier. For these reasons most companies will not treat areas that were not properly prepared beforehand.
- Wipe counters, sweep floors, and clean up any spills that are in the kitchen to reduce the ants food source.
- Vacuum the floors to pick up ALL the crumbs, especially the ones you can’t see.
- Store all your food in pest-proof containers.
- Empty trash regularly.
- Wash dishes and/or run the dishwasher regularly.
- Never leave any pet food out after the pet has finished eating.
- If you recycle always rinse containers out thoroughly.
- Be prepared to answer any questions that the techs may have, including where you have been seeing the ants or where they have been in the past.
After the Pest Control Service:
- Be patient. The bait will not immediately kill the ants, the bait will take time to kill the ants. Baiting is the best way to get rid of the entire colony of ants.
- Do not spray any insecticides or kill any ants that you see. The ants that you will see, need to continue eating the bait and taking it back to the colony. Do not kill them, they will die on their own.
- Avoid using any strong cleaners, especially near any of the bait. You could get rid of the ants pheromone trail that the rest of the ants are using to find the bait.
- Leave all the ants that are heading towards or away from the bait alone. They will bring some of the bait back to the queen the queen will also die from the bait.